Tired of tweezing and sick of shaving? Laser hair removal might just be the answer to your prayers. This method of hair removal isn’t only surprisingly affordable (especially with payment plans available at The Hampton Clinic), but the results can last many years. Just imagine: you’ll never have to waste time fighting the fuzz again!
So, what can you expect?
To kick things off, you need to decide which area you would like to treat. The wonderful thing about laser hair removal is that it can be used on most parts of your body. Think: bikini line, buttocks, underarms, arms, legs, nipples…the list goes on and on! Your aesthetic practitioner will usually begin your treatment by marking the area you’d like to treat with a white pencil. And then, using the latest, cutting-edge technology, they’ll use a cosmetic laser, which can accommodate to both your hair and skin type. Now, it’s show time!
The laser will shoot a beam of light towards your hair follicles, annihilating the follicle at its root. Want to know the best part? Each beam of the laser’s light treats an area is roughly the size of a two-pence piece. This means that large areas can be dealt with fairly quickly. After the treatment, your practitioner will apply some aloe vera gel to cool your skin. If you’re anxious about the pain, don’t be. The pain is minimal. Some people describe it as feeling like an elastic band hitting your skin. But honestly, you can rest assured that it hurts less than your average waxing session!
What should you know before you go?
- First and foremost, you will need to have a consultation (free at The Hampton Clinic!) and test patch 24 hours before starting the treatment
- Before your consultation, ensure that you leave the hair to grow on the treatment area to see it’s colour/thickness/density, and determine the appropriate treatment programme for you
- Prior to your first session, make sure the treatment area is shaved as smooth as possible. Why, do you ask? Because it’s just the root of the hair follicle that needs treating.
- Your skin may be a little pink after your treatment, however that’s completely normal and doesn’t last long
- Just returned from sunning yourself in Spain? If you picked up a tan on your travels, you’ll need to wait 2 weeks before treatment. The same rule applies if you’ve recently waxed or used fake tan.
The boring sciency stuff (don’t worry, this won’t take long!)
Like electrolysis, laser hair removal can only treat hairs that are in the growth period of their lifecycle. This means that people normally need 6-8 treatments to achieve desirable results. Leaving a few weeks between each treatment is definitely advised. It’s also worth pointing out that that although British clinics can’t claim they give ‘permanent’ hair removal (for legal reasons!), the results are known to last many years. Indeed, as your hormones may prompt new hairs to grow, you might need the occasional top up treatment in the future (which – by the way – are half price at The Hampton Clinic!) Apart from that, you can expect many fuzz free years to come! Happy days!